When Child Visitation Schedules Change, So Can Your Support Payments

When Child Visitation Schedules Change, So Can Your Support Payments

A parent can retroactively get credit for child support payments they paid to an ex-spouse who no longer takes care of their child through Jackson Credits

When couples with children go through divorce or otherwise separate, they must establish a plan with the court. This documents how they will share access and time with their children. The resulting child custody and visitation agreement may state that Mom has the children during the school week, while Dad has visitation rights every other weekend. It may state that each parent will split time with their children 50/50. As time goes by, however, parents and children’s’ needs may change. Visitation schedules may change as well.

Some teenage children prefer to live solely with one parent over the other. Parents may agree to their teen’s wishes, thinking that their son or daughter is going through “a temporary phase.” That may create a situation where, even though their teen has changed residence, parents may not go back to court to modify their child custody and child support orders.

The amount of child support a parent pays is based on each parent’s net disposable monthly income and the amount of time they will spend caring for the child. So, what happens when child custody arrangements change, without the parents’ revising their child custody and support agreements?

Child support payments can be modified retroactively though Jackson Credits

A parent can retroactively get credit from the court for child support payments that they paid to the ex-spouse or partner who no longer takes care of their child. Or has the child less often than originally planned. To prove that Jackson Credits apply in your case, you will need to show that even though you did not have legal custody of your child, you had actual physical custody. It is helpful if you can provide school records and other evidence demonstrating how much time your child spent with you. Emails and texts between you and your ex can often establish who had actual custody.

Help with your child support modification

We can draw up a child support modification for you and represent you to the court. We will be able to help you get Jackson Credits for the child support you have already paid. Please contact my office for a consultation.

 Marissa Major and Hillary Warren of Warren Major LLC are Marin County family law attorneys, specializing in divorce, child custody and support, marital contracts and other family law issues. If you are looking for honest, expert legal advice, please contact our office for a consultation

Disclaimer: Warren Major LLP’s blog articles on its website for informational purposes only. The information contained herein may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Warren Major LLP or the individual author. This general information is not a substitute for legal advice on any subject matter. For advice pertaining to your specific case, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. No reader of this article should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this article without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Using this information or sending electronic mail to Warren Major LLP or its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements pertaining to past results do not guarantee future results.


Call Us Today